The 40th annual diamondback rattlesnake roundup in Lometa was held on 27 March 2010.
Lometa has a lone stoplight, a recent improvement as of 2003 from the original four-way stop, in the middle of town. On the edge of town there is a nice municipal park with camping sites and a rodeo arena and grounds.
Lometa was a 200-acre site platted May 17, 1886, as a railroad stop. The town was rapidly transplanted out of the nearby stagecoach stop of Senterfitt. The town had originally been called Montvale, but a change was made in 1886 when a post office was applied for.
By 1890 there were 150 Lometans and four years later the town got its first newspaper. Another weekly paper was published in 1896 and a third by 1900.